Monday, September 10, 2012

Homosexuality

Mark 12:25, ""For when they rise from the dead, they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven."

The inspiration for the prayers that have led to this post comes from The Voice and the gender bending lesbian who has been selected to move on in the competition. She  like the judge Cee Lo is the child of Christian Church Pastors. And so knowing a pastor who's son raped his daughter, I can't help but wonder what these parents who live and breath the Gospel of Christ think of their children openly or secretly engaging in sexual sin. Do they dare love their child in the presence of opposition and condemnation that surely comes from their congregation? And does God indeed condemn?

Well for one I am very thankful that this is a subject I get to ponder but not live. Secondly, I have no business judging it. Even though the Apostle Paul wrote to the Corinthians in 1 Cor. 6:9-10, "Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

I use to find Paul's words very comforting as the victim of homosexual abuse before the age of 6, but today... having found a place of forgiveness in my heart for my abuser, and having 5 children of different personality, talent, intelligence, and desire I question Paul's comments in relation to Jesus' words.

In heaven we neither marry nor are given in marriage. Is it safe to safe that in heaven there is no sex, unlike the Muslim doctrine? And if no sex, is there even male and female in heaven? After all Paul wrote to the Galatians in 3:28, "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus." And if neither male nor female, then isn't it true that without gender or sex in heaven that the part of us that might be fornicator, adulterer, or homosexual is not present there either? Are we our sexual desire? Or is our sexual desire part that is left behind?

I just don't know. All I know is that I am not a homosexual. I know that I believe none of my close family members are either. So for me and my family it is not an issue. But to see Co-Pastors embrace their gender bending, avowed lesbian daughter excommunicated from her parents church by a judgmental congregation gives me hope. If gives me hope that Christ has a plan even for those addicted to what is commonly known as sexual perversion.

I will leave it with what Pastor Dusty Kemp taught me. As Christians we are to love the sinner and hate the sin. You do not know how a person comes to be an alcoholic, a serial cheater, a homosexual, a pathological liar, a chronic thief, but you do know Christ has commanded that we love them all. Love God and love your neighbor and it all will work out in the end.



No comments:

Post a Comment