Thursday, September 26, 2013

God of Just Enough & Just In Time

Exodus 3:14, “God said to Moses, ‘I AM WHO I AM’; and He said, ‘Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’”

Exodus 16:4, “Then the Lord said to Moses, ‘Behold, I will rain bread from heaven for you; and the people shall go out and gather a day’s portion (just enough) every day, that I may test them, whether or not they will walk in My instruction.’”

Luke 9:58, “And Jesus said to him, ‘The foxes have holes and the birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head.’”

I am fully aware there are large blocks of Christians that believe God is a God of prosperity, and that if a person is not materially prosperous then their relationship to Him is somehow contaminated, most likely with sin. But I will assure you that this is not the case, nor even remotely judge-able.

Not every command of Christ is to cast the nets on the other side of the boat, and not all results of God’s command are an overabundance. In fact all too often God is a God of just enough and just in time. I find no better example than the Israelites having to be dependent upon God for their daily bread. A dependence that lasted a full forty years. Christ on more than one occasion was without shelter, or food, or money. And yet each time God provided just in time.

I know several people who live wholly dependent upon God’s provision. Actually that is a completely watered down statement. So let me try again.

I know three people who live 100% dependent on God’s next financial miracle. They obey without consideration of where resource are coming from, and having watched them from a distance I can truly say that God has ALWAYS provided just enough, and all too often it comes just in time.

And so I find myself not in financial straits, but temporarily absent any cash, and with a bare cupboard. It is ten days until another payday, and I truly have $5 for lunch until then. I think of what my friend Jim would do, and it is to publicly cry out to the Lord. For Aaron, he has said that God has had him thank Him for the past provision, and then the current provision appeared. For Russell… I don’t know that he asks or thanks, but more seems to have some certainty that the manna will appear in the morning. For me, this is what I am doing…

“Father, give me this day my daily bread. And yes I know that I could stand to skip a few meals, but Father I asks that I might know your love. I am not asking to “test” You per se even though I know you test our love, but just to experience it again… to know that You are for me.”

I prayed this three days ago. On the first day my dad called and asked if like him to take me to lunch. On the second day a fellow employee asked if I wanted to go to lunch. I said it will have to be cheap because I only have $5. He said, “no my treat, I just want to do something nice for you…” Today is day three… (to be cont’d)

And please understand that this is not a tale from a poor beggar too broke or too irresponsible, but that it is a disciple constantly amazed by his God, that He loves him enough to be so involved in his life. Thankful that He tests him in his obedience to His instruction. 


No comments:

Post a Comment