Monday, August 13, 2012

We Never Know What They Meant To Us Until They Are Gone


John 11:35, "Jesus wept."

I was in a brief conversation with my life coach Jim Spivey talking about how crazy it is that when my brother-in-law Ed Kruger was alive I didn’t think of him every day, but now that he is gone every thought is on him. His reply was something to the effect of “we never know what they meant to us until they are gone.”

So as Ed’s body is laid to rest I want to share what Ed should mean to us all.

I imagine that Ed upon reaching heaven and the overwhelming presence of Christ and the Father that he was first and foremost humbled that he made it. I imagine that the peace and love of the presence of God-- that being in God’s infinite wisdom left any concern that he had for his family and children instantly vanquished with the truly knowing God’s love and promise for them. I can almost see the smile on Ed’s face at the instant full understanding of the temporary nature of life as he compared to the backdrop of eternity.

I am very thankful that God allowed Ed to visit his daughter Sara in her dreams the night of his leaving the bounds of this planet. Sara dreamt that she woke up and went into her parent’s room. There was her mom and Ed. Sara in shock said, “Dad you are not supposed to be here.” To that Ed replied, “I am surprised I woke up here too… but you need to know I’m ok, and it is all good.”

In the past 4 days I have re-lived in my mind thousands of moments of fun, laughs, and genuine good times with Ed. I have been through the very first day I met him all the way to the last conversation we had. And the funny thing is, all those things I held against him, all the things I thought he did wrong… they are completely gone. All I remember… at least all I miss and think on are the good things. I don’t look back and see the few things I could criticize, but I look back and see things that are inspirational. An incredible father without deceit.  I remember his humor, his ability to convince anyone to do anything. I remember how personable he was, and his uncanny photographic memory of people’s names and faces.

But what I think everyone should take away from Ed’s early death is the fragility of life.  I think everyone should understand that salvation is not based on church attendance, memorization of scripture, or even good deeds. For me Ed will always be a reminder that we do not need to beat addictions to make heaven… perhaps only fight them. No, Ed is a reminder to us all that we only simply need to believe that Christ is the Son of God and that He came to save us from ourselves.

Two days before Ed passed on he had an encounter with God in a surf shop. Come to find out Bingo, the shop owner, told Kelley that when Ed walked in the door the Holy Spirit told him that he must talk to Ed. They ended up in the back of the shop in an area where Bingo has daily praise and worship. Not only did this man share with Ed his struggle against addiction, but he also led Ed to pray a tearful prayer where Ed rededicated his life to Christ.

Ed had reported back that Bingo’s wife and said he was a buoy lost at sea. Come to find out she actually said, Ed is a buoy set free.

Be free Ed… until we meet again in eternity.

Lastly, as the family was selecting music for the service, Ed’s 8 year old son Blair said, “I’m going with 'Get Jiggy With It,' that was Dad’s favorite song."  So to Ed… here you go. 


No comments:

Post a Comment