Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Skinning the Cat

Matthew 9:28-29, “Then He touched their eyes, saying, ‘It shall be done according to your faith.’ And their eyes were opened…”

Mark 8:23-25, “… and after spitting on his eyes and laying His hands on him… he looked intently and was restored, and began to see everything clearly.”

We have a saying in the south that goes like this, “there is more than one way to skin a cat.” Why anyone would want to skin a cat is beyond me, but why the Son of God would spit into a blind man’s eyes is equally perplexing. But regardless of how Jesus varied in His approach the results were both equally miraculous, namely a blind man received sight.

And yet, even with this prime example that within God’s will there are a multitude of paths that achieve His purpose we still as mankind selfishly believe that our way is the only way. Yes the way is narrow that leads to life, but that narrow way that is also straight looks a lot more like the spoke on a wheel than a single line for all of mankind to jump on. We all start on the outside and move to the inside center which is Christ.

And so I ask, why does the employee know better than the boss? Why does the husband or wife know better than their spouse? Why does the student know better than the teacher? Why does the friend know better than the friend? Why I am befriended because of my heart, but that heart not trusted in its ways? Why do I demand acceptance, and fail to give it? How arrogant of me to think my spoke is the only spoke in the wheel only to be in conflict with the other spokes.

Paul wrote, “If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men.” (Rom 12:18) Thank God he said, “if possible.” It can be so hard to be at peace when someone in our life is marching to a different drum beat. It can be so hard to find that peace when that is not the way “we do things.” And yet in it all Christ says, “Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful.”

Father help me to not be fearful. Help me to understand there is more than one way to get to the end, and that just as you work all things together for good for me You are also working everything together for good for all those who love You. Help me to find that perfect unity Christ spoke of in John 17. A unity that is not about path, but about direction… a unity that is not about actions, but about the heart behind the actions. In the end… help me walk in love because that is what it is all about anyway.

And yes the music selection is the same as yesterday. I just want to wake up as God's child and shine like He intends.


No comments:

Post a Comment