Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Judgement

1 Corinthians 3: 12-15, "Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, each man's work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man's work. If any man's work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire."

Yesterday I was in traffic court, and for whatever reason court, even this least form of court creates in me a significant amount of anxiety. Why do I feel that they are going to arrest me when I have done nothing wrong? Why does my mind play out the worst of scenarios?

And so as I wrestled with understanding and embracing this anxiety of judgment I found my spirit in discussion with Christ about final judgement.

I am reminded of the passage of scripture above. It is in reference to what happens for all of Christianity at the judgment seat of Christ. (2 Cor 5:10). This is not to be confused with the Great White Throne of Judgment where non-Christians are judged. (Rev 20:11) And so I wonder, will I be anxious in heaven worrying if am I going to make it in? Will I be anxious to find out if any of my works remain post a testing of fire? Is judgment going to be similar to trying out for a high-school sports team? Hustle, hustle, hustle... do your best, and then await that anxious moment where the coach decides who makes it and who is cut? Or will love give me confidence in the day of judgment? (1 John 4:17)

To a degree some level of confidence is  given knowing that my judgment will not be for salvation and entrance to heaven, but rather by Christ and a judgment for rewards. So perhaps the anxiety, if there is such a thing in heaven, will be the anxiety of wondering just what reward God has in store.

For me I think there will always be some level of anxiety in the area of judgment because in the end our success in Christ terms depends on how we live by the spirit, and  to what degree do we have relationship with him. The works that are burned up or remain are not "Christian efforts." Those most certainly will be burned up. On the contrary, based on scripture, (Matt 7:21-24) the one thing that can stand the fiery test of Christ is love. Acts of love in relationship and obedience to Christ... that's the ticket to rewards in heaven.

Father, help us love.

No comments:

Post a Comment