Friday, November 9, 2012

The Next Evolution - Abiding


John 15:5, “I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing.”

Call it what you may but there is a very real, tangible presence of God. Some experience it in worship. Some experience in other parts of a Christian service. There are songs and song leaders that “invite” the presence of God, and certainly scripture is true when it says, “when two or more are gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst.”(Matt 18:20)

Some never experience the presence of God outside some religious service. And yet others might experience it from time to time in prayer, or following an act of obedience to God. 

This blog talks about “practicing His presence.” This is the purposeful act of experiencing the presence of God at will. God's presence is there always, but we are not aware of it, so we focus and become aware of it anytime, anywhere. But there is even more. There is abiding in that presence. There is a place of constant connection.

I know this because I feel the Holy Spirit pulling me that direction. I know it because Jesus said so. “He who abides in Me and I in him.” When I read this, the scripture has the sound of ‘he who chooses to abide in Me, and who I choose to in turn abide in.' Jesus seems to be saying there is a constant connection available that I have yet to experience that is not moved by bad traffic, ugly bosses, or ignorant co-workers. There is an abiding presence that is not broken by the trials and tribulations of life. There is an abiding presence that is unbreakable by the euphoric swings of life’s goodness. Somehow, somewhere that abiding presence produces fruit out of what otherwise might be conflict.

It was Christ abiding in the Father and Him in Jesus that led Christ to say, “He who is without sin cast the first stone.” What an unexpected response to a religious mob. It was the abiding that allowed Christ to sleep in the storm, to walk on the water, and to wait 3 days before going to Lazarus. That’s where I want to be. Not for the fruit, but because that is where He is drawing me to. Where is He drawing you?



No comments:

Post a Comment