Friday, April 6, 2012

Spiritual Warfare


2 Corinthians 10:3-7, “For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh, for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses. We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive in obedience to Christ… You are looking a things as they are outwardly. If anyone is confident… that he is Christ’s, let him consider again within himself…”

The above passage speaks volumes to me today, but not as much in the context in which it was written. Paul was speaking here of his unwillingness to engage in internal church conflict. He is saying that his fight is not against other Christians, but instead against thoughts contrary to the knowledge of God. He was saying in a few words… don’t pick on me; I’m on your side. And yet out of context of Christian interaction with one another it is applicable in the context of life.

Outwardly, in the “flesh,” in the reality of human life there are plenty of struggles. And yet those same struggles have an often ignored spiritual side. I might even suggest that sometimes the spiritual struggle, war if you will, is more important to the outcome of both outward and inward war than any outward actions. And so the question comes up of how to we wage “spiritual warfare?” How do we “consider again within” ourselves?

The part of spiritual warfare that takes thoughts captive seems self explanatory for me. The biggest part of the battle is often overcoming our own emotions, impulses, and thoughts that a situation might present. We learn to replace fear with faith.

But what of the weapons? If it’s war, how do we wield the weapons? For that matter what are the weapons? Is the only weapon that we have for spiritual battles prayer? Is the word of God repeated over and over again some kind of magic formula to winning the battle? And how do we win? Hasn't Christ already won?

Is victory in spiritual warfare a positive physical outcome? Is victory needs being met, healings being accomplished, even walking on water? Or is the victory of destroying anything raised up against the knowledge of God? Even better, how is a victory that I feel I so desperately need even qualify as something raised up against the knowledge of God?

Is there even something for us to do? I could argue that scripture says all we have to do in the act of spiritual warfare is to “stand” which doesn’t sound like a whole lot of doing to me. (Eph 6:11) And yet in the garden of Gethsemane Jesus told the disciples to take with them a sword. (Luke 22:36)

Depending on your religious background there is a multitude of ways to spiritually attack a problem. Some pray, some fast, some cite scripture, some do penance, some do all or even none of the above. But I feel the Holy Spirit pulling me into a new form or battle. Somehow, here with Easter Sunday upon us Christ is trying to show me something new about Himself. He is trying to make real, to undo the thinking that He came to bring peace. “Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.” (Matt 10:34) What is that sword? What is inside me that is the sword and this is Christ?

In the end I know that the answer is always Christ. In this case it is not going to be what would Christ do? It is going to be who Christ is. It is not going to be an action on my part, but rather an allowing of, and awareness of Christ has high and on the throne, with all authority, and all power to crush any enemy of God. I can declare victory, but God is saying become aware of the Victor. I can have the keys to heaven for binding up and setting free, but I hear God saying meet the Key. (Matt 16:19)

Today I have no idea what spiritual warfare is all about so, I consider again within… 


No comments:

Post a Comment