Friday, April 20, 2012

Wouldn’t it be nice…


Matthew 17:27, “However, so that we do not offend them, go to the sea and throw in a hook, and take the first fish that comes up; and when you open its mouth, you will find a shekel. Take that and give it to them for you and Me.”

Wouldn’t it be nice if every time a financial need came up we could just hear from Jesus where to go and get the money? Some might argue that there is a “promise” of prosperity or a “promise” of having no lack. For me, I have not found a promise from God to give me prosperity in the midst of my bad financial decisions. But that in no way is too suggest that God is not both capable and willing of financial miracles, particularly of the kind in the passage above.

My friend’s Jim and Russell are great living examples of God’s financial miracles. They live 100% by God’s provision, but like us all encounter extraordinary financial needs in their lives from time to time.  I know Jim has recently had to replace an air conditioner, and that his wife currently has a torn cornea. And so they are not immune from “unexpected” expensive items. Invariably God has miraculously provided for them. For me, my issues are neither unexpected nor accidental.

And yet, can I ask for a financial miracle in the midst of having had insufficient income to meet obligations? Am I crazy to ask God for a financial miracle to make up for six months of unemployment?

I think not. In fact, I believe He expects me to ask. Yes... as Jim says, this annoying problem is God elegantly saving me from myself. It is certainly the very end of myself and my abilities.

But let’s think about this. Would we not pray for a person to be healed of cancer simply because they smoked all their life? Would we withhold prayer because someone was a drug addict, an adulterer, or bad parent? I know that Jesus wouldn’t, and I have witnessed Him healing people just like that of some of the most difficult diseases and situations.

So wouldn’t it be nice if a year’s worth of income could find its way to your bank account sometime in the next 10 days? I know for me it would.

Can God heal cancer, but not provide a $50,000 or $100,000 or $250,000 miracle? I know He can, but if I am truthful I have little or no faith for Him to do it for me.

One thing is for sure. He is “able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think…” (Eph 3:20) For me... I am completely out of ideas, but I have not stopped asking. 



No comments:

Post a Comment