Thursday, September 8, 2011

WWJD to WICD

Matthew 16:16 "Simon Peter answered, 'You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.'"

I had an experience yesterday in a group setting that I would like to cautiously relay without violating any trust. It is important to understand because it proves a very important point.

The experience was to witness a grown man breakdown and wale like I have never seen before. For me the experience was more frightening than sad. It was so unique to my life's experience that I would even describe it as bizarre. I have never seen a man mid-sentence go from discussion to agonizing sorrow.

With that as a background, what would you do in the situation? I imagine some would try to comfort, some would pray quietly. I know people who would have jumped up praying in tongues, and tried to cast a demon out. There are a world of responses. Some might ask, what would Jesus do?

In this situation if you asked yourself what would Jesus do, I suspect it would lead you to a wrong conclusion. I say this because trying to "figure out" what Jesus "would" do is not living for Christ, or allowing Him to live inside of you. Thinking about what Jesus would do is applying man's intellect and understanding, albeit with a good purpose, to the situation.

On the contrary the better question is, What is Christ doing?

For me, the name of Jesus is that part of God who was alive on the earth, part man and wholly God. The personage of God that died on the cross. But Christ... that word represents the manifestation of the Son of the "LIVING" God. "Christ" says here and now.

So what is Christ doing? He is doing something. Or perhaps the something He is doing is nothing, like in my group incident. That is what Christ collectively led us all to do... nothing. We sat there and allowed our friend to safely go through his personal sorrow. We allowed him his moment of temporary insanity. Our prayful silence was not because of what Christ "would have done." Our silent support was because that is what Christ was doing in that moment.

This gentleman was thrust into his moments of pain in an extreme fear of rejection. Christ in us responded not by saying, but by living Hebrew 13:5, "I will never leave you, nor will I ever forsake you." Christ is, and there is a big difference with what He would do and what He is doing. In this case our collective obedience produced some remarkable results.

No comments:

Post a Comment