Monday, May 23, 2011

Faith... just the beginning

Matthew 6:33, "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."

It is almost sad to think of "all these things" being added unto me. But it is an inevitable event happening along the course I am on. I know this with such faith and assurance as I have never had. But reality is there is so much beyond the point where I am now. This place of increased faith and trust in God through the death fo self and resurrection of Christ in me. There is more in terms of discovering the very nature and character of God. And even more in terms of loving my neighbor as myself.

Let me put it this way. In Luke 5: 37 & 38 Jesus said, "And no one puts new wine into old wineskins; otherwise the new wine will burst the skins and it will be spilled out, and the skins will be ruined. But new wine must be put into fresh wine skins." This certainly applies to the "born again" experience. But in many ways we are the wineskins throughout our Christian life whereas the wine is God Himself, His revelation, lessons, love, teachings, all that He is and embodies. This process that I'm in is the throwing away the old wineskin of self, founded on worldly principle. To be resurrected as a new wine skin, capable of holding a fresh batch of wine. But then what is the purpose of the wine in the wineskin? To be held until it is poured out. And with all my heart I know that it was is coming next. Pouring out, sharing, loving with and for God.

This revelation will carry me so far, until once again the wineskin will need re-birth to be filled with new wine. Fill up and pour out, time and time again this is referenced in God's word. The question comes... and thus the concern and fear... is can I continue to seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness during the pouring out process? Can, when the things come, I keep my focus on His face and use those things for His kingdom and not to build my own?

As insane as it sounds, there is great comfort in this crisis. There is the very real expression of God and His love that surrounds me. There are the giant arms around me, holding me, saying it's going to be alright, I have everything under control. And yet the shift is happening. The mission, the vision, the purpose is being defined and once done then the march begins.

1 comment:

  1. Love your last paragraph... so many times I have experienced his "giant arms around me, holding me, saying it's going to be alright, I have everything under control." It makes me happy to know that He is doing the same thing for you!

    ReplyDelete