Friday, November 11, 2011

Sonship

Romans 9:25 -26, "As He says also in Hosea, "I WILL CALL THOSE WHO WERE NOT MY PEOPLE, `MY PEOPLE,' AND HER WHO WAS NOT BELOVED, `BELOVED.' AND IT SHALL BE THAT IN THE PLACE WHERE IT WAS SAID TO THEM, `YOU ARE NOT MY PEOPLE,' THERE THEY SHALL BE CALLED SONS OF THE LIVING GOD."

Yesterday on the way home from work the financial pressures of my life hit me hard. It has been a while (days... maybe weeks) since I have taken my eyes off the face of God and looked at the waves,  but I am overdrawn at the bank, cable is due, cell phone is due, truck needs tires, book is still not completely paid for, plus a bunch of other things. As I forced myself to look back to the face of God, and not reach out for His hand I found myself wanting to phone a friend. Literally I wanted to phone Russell who I know is always good for an answer.

Kind of funny that here I am in the complete presence of the creator of the Universe. Not just the One with all the answers, but the Answer, and I want to hear from a friend.

So I purposed in my heart not to call, but to probe deeper into the heart of God. Not to ask for a solution, but to ignore the problem and find the place of fellowship with Him. It was then the Holy Spirit spoke to my heart. He said, "Do you not understand what I am trying to teach you?" A rethorical question I guess, because I don't understand. Is it to not be afraid in fearful circumstances? Is it to trust Him more? Is it punishment for my stupidity? I have no idea... but it is clear that I am missing it.

And then the Holy Spirit says, "I am teaching you to be a son." I have read Romans 8:29 a thousand times, but in that statement it came more alive in me. "So that He (Jesus) would be the firstborn among many brethren." This whole purpose of life, of a spiritual walk, of salvation, sanctification, death, burial, and resurrection, of becoming aware of Christ in me is so that I can be called a son of God. The implications of which are crazy.

This is something I have been theologically thought, but to experience the fulness in revelation is a whole other animal. Not that I have arrived, because I have not. Not that I can earn it, because I cannot. But to become a son of God? To be in the process of becoming and being taught to be a son of God? Do you understand that Jesus was crucified in part for admitting He was The Son of God?

I am blown away by the implications of this spirit inspired thought. I am humbled that me... and you... have the opportunity to not be step children, but to be true sons and daughters of God. Can you imagine a world if the church would progress to this part in spiritual reality and not just intellect? Can you image a world where we ARE sons of God, instead of just calling ourselves that? Where God has imbraced us as sons & daughters?

I think I have discovered Stage V of practicing His presence. And more than that, the Holy Spirit has also spoken Stage VI and where I go from here. But for the meantime I am going to fully emerse myself in this new reality and learn from it, and be aware of my eldest brother Jesus teaching me to be a son like He was to our Father.

Without delay... no sooner did I complete this writing and God uses T Austin-Sparks to once again confirm my thoughts. T Austin-Sparks wrote, "For the fulness of God’s thoughts a vessel has to be constituted accordingly, and if the fulness of God’s thoughts is sonship as the means of the universal dominion of which this letter speaks, the universal dominion of Christ, then our training is along the lines of sonship, for we are called to that ministry."

No comments:

Post a Comment