Sunday, November 20, 2011

What I Miss Most About Being Rich


Job 1:21, "and he said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither, the Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord."

Matthew 5:38-40, "You have heard that it was said, 'an eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.' But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. If anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, let him have your coat also."

2 Corinthians 11:23-28, "Are they servants of Christ?--I speak as if insane--I more so; in far more labors, in far more imprisonments, beaten times without number, often in danger of death. Five times I received from the Jews thirty-nine lashes. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, a night and a day I have spent in the deep. I have been on frequent journeys, in dangers from rivers, dangers from robbers, dangers from my countrymen, dangers from the Gentiles, dangers in the city, dangers in the wilderness, dangers on the sea, dangers among false brethren; I have been in labor and hardship, through many sleepless nights, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure. Apart from such external things, there is the daily pressure on me of concern for all the churches."

What I miss most about being rich is that I did not have to put up with a whole lot of crap. When you are rich it is easy to be the slaper instead of the slappee. Rich you can pay someone else to deal with the garbage. When you are rich you can afford the lawyers to educate and punish the ignorant. But alas I am no longer rich in finances. And in turn get to enjoy the presence of God, being rich in spirit and sharing in the experiences of Christ, Job, and Paul.

But if I were rich I could dwell on the injustice in life and plot my revenge. Alas I rely on my Father for vengeance is His.

Without Him I might dwell on the fact that I have been without regular pay since April. Without Him I could allow bitterness to consume me for being denied unemployment based on the lie of my previous employer. Without Him I could dwell on anger and go postal for my last check going from $1800 to $125 because of some crazy crap that I owed the employer something. Without Him frustration could lead to self-injury over the state arbitrarily raising my child support without a hearing or court order. Without Him and His constant presence I might loose my mind that my mortgage license has been help up for 45 days over some late payments on my credit report.

But alas, I have Him living and breathing inside of me. He enables me to bring those thoughts captive, to close my eyes, breath deep, rest in the awareness that I am in His arms, and that He is in control.

That is enough. Selah.

MAN'S WAY



CHRIST'S WAY


No comments:

Post a Comment