Sunday, July 10, 2011

Getting Paid to Minister

1 Timothy 5:18, "For the scripture says, 'You shall not muzzle the ox while he is threshing,' and 'The laborer is worthy of his wages.'"

My wife and I just finished a discussion concerning my work effort and ability to provide for our family. The assessment is rather dismal, and though she appreciates the spiritual journey I am on, the practical side of life is bearing down with its burden. Do I continue to put the time into people and this blog, or do I reallocate that resource into finding a more promising career, or pursuing mortgages?

For me there is no other answer than to continue the spiritual journey. For Jamie it's time to fish or cut bait. It's a tough call for me. My wife is my number one ministry on this earth, so unless God can independently convince her (again) that I am doing the right thing. That this journey is His plan, along with the temporary discomfort of diminished resources, and is the absolute best for us both. If God does not confirm this for Jamie, then my only choice is to seek the unity of our relationship and change course. I think to deviate now will prolong the agony, but one thing is for sure, God can make it all work together for good. In fact, God has to make it all work together for good either way I go.

All of which begs the question, how do you get paid to minister? After all, if you're a full-time minister shouldn't God pay you for the work? In fact, how did Jesus get paid?

We know that there were certainly donations made to Jesus and the disciples. We see that in the disciples thinking the perfume used to anoint Him should have been sold so that they could have more to give to the poor. We know at the second feeding of the multitudes that there was savings in their possession equivalent to 10 months worth of wages because they considered buying the food. We know that Jesus owned a house, because when they tore the roof off it to lower the paralytic man "Jesus was at home."  We also know that when they had no money and needed it there was a silver coin found in a fish's mouth. But beyond that we have to assume that people gave Him and the disciples offerings.

We know that Paul made tents on the side for income, but we also know that churches supported his ministry by sending him offerings.

In modern day it seems that to get paid in ministry, the minister creates some sort of vehicle (non-profit) to collect the money. Often a church, but sometimes there is a para-church organization using projects to entice the giving in hopes there is some portion to go to financial support. The modern Evangelist, and now Apostle travel from church to church preaching for love offerings. But what are the other possibilities? Where is the creative miracle God is so famous for?

My friend Jim ministers to people one on one all day. He tells them all that he does not charge and is 100% dependent on God. And those same people and more contribute to him and his ministry in whatever way that can. So much so that the collective offering meets ALL his needs EVERY month. Jim's example to me is the closest I have seen to God's direct provision. Everything else has a business aspect to it.

I have been intimately involved with a few para-church organizations and fund raising has always been a problem and therefore a priority. The time, energy, and effort spent to raise money so that the ministry can be done is significantly more that the time spent in ministry. This should not be? So what happens is the business of ministry is developed, the patterns that create monetary success are defined, and creativity, flexibility, and obedience to the Holy Spirit are stifled. This stifling kills, and I see people everyday confused and wounded by the "business" of ministry.

God has a plan for me and the ministry He's called me too. I don't know what it is, but I know there's a plan. For Paul & Kristen that plan is a bed and breakfast retreat. But what is His plan for me?

It is this not knowing that in part drives me a little crazy. I can come up with hundreds of ideas of how to combine a non-church business with ministry. Say for example a coffee shop. After all, there is a lot of talking/consoling/ministry that goes on in coffee shops now. But what is God's plan? I know that it is not to create a church. But what?

If there is a plan at all, I think I will discover when I reach the point where I stop planning and only listen for His plan to come. And this is a spot I am very near to. I also think that I will hear the plan when I can be open to all possibilities, even possibilities I have never imagined.

At the same time I spend a lot of time illuminating what God is doing in others. Perhaps one of you has the illumination that I need. The statement of the obvious that I am missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment